Originally home to many older residents, Tiong Bahru has, in recent years, attracted many younger generations to the area, making the once-old and traditional housing estate vibrant and hip. With various restaurants, cafes and bars opening around the area, here are six best cafes in Tiong Bahru, serving artisanal coffees, mouth-watering dishes and fresh baked goods.
Note: This list is strictly not in order.
1. Tiong Bahru Bakery- Tiong Bahru Branch
In contrast to its branding as your everyday neighbourhood bakery, Tiong Bahru Bakery is far from it. Renowned for its delicious French-baked breads and pastries, Tiong Bahru Bakery has made a name for itself in the Singapore cafe scene. Dedicated to delivering excellence in their baking crafts just as the French artisans did, the cafes use time-honoured techniques and quality ingredients.
Inspired by French cuisines, the cafe serves premium baked goods, including Croissants, Pain Au Chocolat, Kouign Amann and Vanilla Flan. Pair your freshly baked croissants with coffee for the perfect cafe experience. From classic long black and flat whites to specialty macchiato and magic coffees, the coffee beans at Tiong Bahru Bakery are a unique blend crafted exclusively for the cafe.
1. We asked our hotel for a recommendation and she thought that since we were from San Francisco we would want “artisan.” She wasn’t wrong. This place has some of the most delicious pastries and coffee I’ve ever had. Really good. We went both mornings we were in Singapore.
2. Very calm and soothing cafe. Loved the freshly baked breads and strongly brewed coffee made our day. And the amazingly polite and helpful staff
3. Convenient location, a stone throw from Tiong Bahru food centre and market. We enjoyed their drinks including cappuccino and tea. Croissant tasted good only when it’s warm. Value for money. Most importantly their staff are friendly and approachable. 👍 …
Operating Hours: 7.30 AM-8 PM
Number: 6220 3430
Address: 56 Eng Hoon St, #01-70, Singapore 160056
2. Merci Marcel Tiong Bahru
Merci Marcel Tiong Bahru is known for its French Riviera and Balinese-inspired cafe aesthetic, incorporating a vivid and citrus-tone colour palette into the cafe interior. Merci Marcel is dedicated to being a French breakfast and brunch cafe during the day, transforming into a restaurant and wine bar at night. The cafe features a glasshouse patio, a main dining area and an alfresco terrace, perfect for intimate gatherings or small-scale events.
Explore their coffee menu featuring classics like latte, flat white, mocha, americano, cappuccino and piccolo latte. You can also elevate your coffee experience by customising your coffees with your preferred milk choices, including almond, oat, soya, and skimmed milk.
1. Very nice place to hang out. The carrot cake is superb and the coffee too. The staffs are very friendly. Definitely will come again.
2. Had a wonderful brunch at Marcel Merci! Food and drinks were delicious, we chose to sit at patio and we like the ambiance very much! Staff were friendly, services are good as well! Surely have to visit again!☺️
3. As several people have said, this is a charming, whimsical cafe in French colonial style. The interior decor feels cosy and classic. The menu is adds some modern touches to known dishes. We enjoyed avocado toast with poached egg, a slice of moist cake, some hot coffee and a croissant. Everything was tasty and textures were spot on. Recommended!
Operating Hours: Sunday & Monday: 8 AM- 11 PM | Tuesday- Saturday: 8 AM- 12 AM
Number: 6224 0113
Address: 56 Eng Hoon St, #01-68, Singapore 160056
3. Glass Roasters- Tiong Bahru Branch
Nestled within the Tiong Bahru neighbourhood, Glass Roasters is a small and cosy coffee shop offering indoor and outdoor seating areas. The Tiong Bahru cafe exudes a rustic and traditional ambiance reflecting the neighbourhood’s charm. Their coffee menu includes black, white, mocha, macadamia latte, and cold brews. Choose from two types of coffee beans from two different regions and your preferred choice of milk.
Glass Roasters has curated a selection of quality coffee beans, each offering a distinct and aromatic flavour profile. The Columbian beans are sourced from Columbia and Indonesia, which are known for their high acidity and medium body, delivering a strong and distinct flavour. On the other hand, the Indonesian beans offer bold, vibrant and full-body notes with a muted acidity, different from the Columbian beans, ensuring that the coffee is tailored to each customer’s taste preferences.
1. This is such a hole in the wall coffee joint. Love the Ethiopia Blend. Rich flavour with a familiar scent. The Gaitania is more unique but definitely for the adventurous folks. Definitely worth coming all the way here just for the coffee.
2. Located on Seng Poh Lane, Glass Roasters is a charming Hole-In-The-Wall Cafe with indoor seating for no more than 10 people and a few extra seats tucked away behind the store. The café’s minimalist interior design, featuring raw materials and simple decorations, creates an ideal atmosphere for a relaxing break. I thoroughly appreciate their coffee and diverse selection of beans, and I was impressed by the person in charge, who displayed extensive knowledge about the beverages. I look forward to returning soon
3. Hidden gem opp Tiong Bahru market. Small cosy place to hang out for coffee and pastries. I just had lunch so only tried their coffee. The coffee is awesome. I specially loved the cup. The gelato is so inviting too. Definitely come back to try more.
Operating Hours: Monday – Friday: 7.30 AM- 4.30 PM | Saturday & Saturday: 8.30 AM-6 PM
Address: 60 Seng Poh Ln, Singapore 160060
4. Plain Vanilla Tiong Bahru
Housed in an old shophouse, Plain Vanilla Tiong Bahru has been revamped into a bakery, cafe and retail store. The space features an open skylight, bringing natural lighting into the space creating a warm and cosy ambiance. The cafe offers a selection of baked goods, coffee, and hot menu items.
For their coffee menu, Plain Vanilla Tiong Bahru offers Browns Mill Organic Blend, Haus Decaf blend and Seasonal Single Origin beans, specially roasted by Allpress Espresso. There are also add-on options with different types of milk, catering to diverse coffee taste preferences.
1. A Western-style casual café that offers a great variety of savoury and sweet treats. This isn’t my first visit, and once again, I found myself captivated by the rich taste of their coffee and the artistry in their latte creations. They use the renowned Allpress Espresso coffee blend, which guarantees a strong and flavorful cup of coffee. The attention to detail in their latte art showcases their dedication to delivering a truly satisfying coffee experience, even though they are better known for their cupcakes.
2. pretty cute cafe located in tiong bahru. ordered coffee latte and choco marble cake and there are quiet nice, so is the ambience. staff are very helpful. will come again if have a chance.
3. A coffee shop where you can chill and even work from, such a rare find in Singapore. Coffee and pastries were very good, and the price was still reasonable to people from another SEA country.
Operating Hours: 7.30 AM-7 PM
Number: 8363 7614
Address: 1D Yong Siak St, Singapore 168641
5. Caffe Pralet
Caffe Pralet serves freshly made flavour-packed sammies, sourdoughs, viennoiseries and delicate pastries; all skillfully prepared in-house at their bakery. Their menu ranges from sandwiches and breads to coffee and tea. If you are dropping by for a cup of coffee, Caffe Pralet offers classic coffee menu options such as latte, flat white and long black. For a unique and delightful experience, explore their specialty coffee choices, including caramel latte, hazelnut latte, honey malt oat milk and Hojicha latte, each delivering a smooth and rich flavour.
Popular for their sourdough sandwiches and fluffy square doughnuts, grab a bite from one of their many freshly baked goods while you savour the aromatic cup of coffee. Their sourdough sandwich comes in eight different flavours, while the square doughnuts offer four different flavours to choose from.
1. I recently visited this cafe to get some work done, and it was a great choice. The ambiance was calm and conducive to productivity. The coffee was excellent, and the pastries were delicious, providing the necessary energy to focus on my tasks. The staff was polite and accommodating, making it a perfect spot for both work and relaxation. Highly recommended for a productive visit!
2. Caffe Pralet is a nice cafe with reasonable prices. Their black coffee has strong notes but not acidic. The burnt butter donut is a fluffy and has a great balance between sweet and savoury.
3. Everything is delicious. I was surprise with the pandan flavoured doughnut, its perfectly paired with their latté. A must try!
Operating Hours: 9 AM- 6 PM
Number: 8318 0698
Address: 17 Eng Hoon St, #01-04 Eng Hoon Mansions, Singapore 169767
6. Drips Bakery Cafe
Located in the heart of Tiong Bahru, Drips Bakery Cafe is dedicated to selecting quality ingredients to ensure consistency and quality. Serving an array of freshly baked tarts, pastries and bread, Drips Bakery Cafe is most known for its flavourful and unique tarts. A must try when you are there are their seasonal fresh fruit tarts, choc truffle tarts and fresh yuzu tarts.
Apart from their well-known tarts, Drips Bakery Cafe also serves other menu items, including hot foods, coffees, teas, craft beer and wines. They serve a variety of coffees, including espresso, espresso macchiato, piccolo latte, long black and cold drip. Their coffee offers a light to medium body of flavour with a balanced finish, perfect for those looking to get their daily coffee intake.
1. Marble tea cake was nice and fresh avocado tart had a unique taste, nice in a weird way. Hot latte had a nice coffee aroma and taste, but not strong enough.
2. Love this place. Coffee is so good. Powered by Rocket Espresso – The best! Also love their Sticky Bun. FWIW, on a Saturday, crowd started to come in just before 12 noon.
3. A bakkie cafe gem hidden in Tiong Bahru neighbourhood. Nice tarts, good coffee n tea. I like their eggs Benedict buns with salted egg paste. The ham & cheese tart is tasty n the dark choc tart is made good quality chocolate. Staff are friendly and helpful. Cosy ambience for chill with a nice bakery n coffee.
Operating Hours: Sunday & Monday: 9 AM- 9.30 PM | Tuesday – Saturday: 9 AM- 10.30 PM
Number: 6222 0400
Address: 82 Tiong Poh Rd, #01-05, Singapore 160082
With so many trendy and hip cafes in the area, here are the six best cafes in Tiong Bahru, serving exceptional coffee and other savoury delights.